Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Dark and Strangely Warm

Here is a drabble I wrote for Aubrey Hansen’s Bible verse story challenge on the Holy Worlds Christian Fantasy Forum. This story was inspired by Proverbs 11:7 (NIV), which says:

“When a wicked man dies, his hope perishes; all he expected from his power comes to nothing.”


King Orman awoke. His room was dark and strangely warm for autumn. Since he had went to bed before sunset due to feeling ill, he must have left the window curtains closed.

“Servant!” he cried.

No answer.

He cursed as he got out of bed. “Lazy servants. I’ll do it myself, and execute them in the morning.”

Something moved in the darkness.

“Show yourself!”

No response.

“I am the King!”

“Not here.” Red eyes appeared. “Here, you are one of the damned.”

“This is my castle!”

Other red eyes appeared. “No, Orman. You died, and now you are ours.”

(c) 2011 Jonathan Garner

9 comments:

  1. Great drabble! I like the dark tone, and I think you expressed the truth well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm glad y'all liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very good, Jonathan. I liked it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found your blog!

    Very creepy, honestly I want to read more

    -Brendan-

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this a long time ago and thought it was awesome. :D Probably my favorite of your drabbles. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete