Thursday, January 12, 2012

Book Review: Forbidden Doors, Book 1: The Society by Bill Myers


When two teens and their mom move to a small California town, they soon suspect that dark forces are at work. After living in South America for years, they recognize the signs of demonic influence, and realize that some of the people they encounter are unwitting pawns of hell, while others willingly serve the darkness. As their faith is put to the test, they have to remember and be guided by the power of God’s truth.

The Society is the first book in the Forbidden Doors series by Bill Myers, a YA series I liked a lot as a teen. I was curious to see how the books held up now, and for The Society at least, I have mixed feelings. It was solidly written and moved along at a fast pace through a slight story that was decent enough for a series novel. However, a recurring allegorical dream sequence involving knights playing football felt out of place and detracted from the story. Other than that over-the-top element, the rest of the story worked. Mild violence and fairly strong horror make it best for teens and up.

(c) 2012 Jonathan Garner

10 comments:

  1. Interesting. I have't read these books but I greatly enjoy Bill Myers' writing. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill Meyers... there's an author I haven't read in awhile!

    Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Aubrey!

    What books did you read by him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever heard of this author... o.O Sounds like an intriguing read. Thankyou for the review, Jonathan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for reading and commenting, BushMaid! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill Meyers, Bill Meyers... Let's see... I read the bulk of the Wally McDoogle series once upon a time. And some of Bloodhounds, Inc. I've also watched a lot of the McGee & Me TV shows. Not sure if I ever read the books. Now you're making me want to go revisit all of this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never read the Bloodhounds, Inc. books, though I read some of the Wally books and saw a few episodes of McGee and Me.

    Is revisiting them a bad thing? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Bloodhound, Inc. videos were a lot of fun, as I recall. I liked the talking computer a lot. :) I always wanted a friend like McGee!

    No, probably not... ;)

    ReplyDelete