Monday, February 13, 2012

Book Review: Winter by Keven Newsome


A young Christian woman who has embraced her faith without leaving behind her goth style heads to college and finds herself plagued by visions that coincide with attacks upon other students. As she comes to understand that her visions are prophetic, she also digs deeper into the mysteries on campus, and finds herself facing an enemy who has been waiting for her powers to be revealed.

Winter by Keven Newsome is a fast-paced horror thriller, smoothly intertwining a present day narrative with the story of Winter’s past. Both stories are powerful on their own and even more so in combination. While it goes on a bit long at the end after the climactic showdown, and some of its spirituality may not be entirely theologically accurate, overall it is a good novel both in its thrilling story and its presentation of faith, so I look forward to the sequels it seems to promise. Due to violence, scary scenes, and references to torture, nudity, and other carefully handled adult content, it is recommended for older teens and adults only.

(c) 2012 Jonathan Garner

16 comments:

  1. Good review, Jonathan. This looks very interesting, I might look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd heard of this, and wondered if it was any good. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the review. :) You did a good job and I fully intend to look it up and read it, as soon as I have the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kalisia! :) If you do, I hope you like it.

      Delete
  4. Good job reviewing, Jonathan!
    Isn't the cover art great?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard lots about this book. It's a Splashdown, correct? Thanks for reviewing it, Jonathan. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's Splashdown. :) Thank you, Kaitlyn!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for reviewing! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll link this to my website. I am, however, curious as to what you felt was theologically weak. As a graduate student in seminary, I worked hard to make sure everything was sound in theology.

    Blessings!

    -Keven
    www.KevenNewsome.com
    www.facebook.com/thewordcrafter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting!

      The main thing that stuck in my mind is that some of the theology relating to Winter's gift felt speculative, in that it didn’t contradict the Bible but wasn’t necessarily backed up by it. That's fine for fiction, but I felt it was worth noting for some potential readers who might be sensitive to such things.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I’ll be interested in reading that article.

      Thank you for the offer. If I had known that I would get the chance to discuss it with you, I would have taken notes, especially since as an author myself I know the desire to address such things. It’s been awhile since I read the novel, though I just posted the review, so it’s hard to recall specifics beyond my brief general note. However, I plan to reread it in the future, especially as the series progresses, and if any questions remain even after your article and you are still open to it, I can consider asking them then.

      Delete
  7. I've heard a lot about this book here 'n there, so it's great to read a full review of it. I agree - the cover is brilliantly done!

    ReplyDelete