Monday, June 11, 2012

Movie Review: Brigadoon


While hunting in Scotland, two rich men from America stumble upon a mysterious village that isn’t on the map. When one of the hunters falls in love with a young woman in the village, his curiosity leads him to find out the village’s secret. It turns out that the village is miraculously protected due to the sacrifice of its former minister, and only seen by the outside world once every one hundred years. The hunter realizes that he must choose between leaving his present life behind to stay in this magical village forever with the woman he loves, or returning to his normal life and never seeing the woman he loves again. As he ponders this choice, a malcontent will threaten the existence of the village, and with it, the woman the hunter loves.

Brigadoon is a colorful fantasy musical from the 1950s that should have been enjoyable for the whole family. The spiritual themes had a lot of promise, even if the theology was a bit murky, but unfortunately it ends up too tainted by Hollywood to live up to the promise of the themes. A supposed innate aversion to marriage by men, a distorted view of love, and various other small issues drain some of the enjoyment from the film. Brigadoon has some of the most brilliant uses of sets that I’ve ever seen, but you may still occasionally notice the artificial backgrounds. Overall, it’s an interesting and fun movie, but felt haunted by what it could have been. The notable content is mild and typical for the era: Some brief violence, immodesty, kissing, and an instance of vague innuendo.


(c) 2012 Jonathan Garner

12 comments:

  1. I once saw about ten minutes of this movie. What I saw was very interesting. Now I know what to expect if I ever watch it. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Garry!

      What ten minutes did you see?

      Delete
  2. Been a long time since I've seen this one, I remember enjoying it, though. Aside from the few issues, it is a great film, but then again, what is to be expected from secular people?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to see this for awhile, so this is all good to know. Thanks, Jonathan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grace! I'm glad it was helpful.

      Delete
  4. I was just thinking of possibly watching this movie with my husband since we're both into most things Celtic. I saw an edited version of it when I was wee, and I was trying to think what issues Dad and Mom had removed to see if it was worth our time now. Good to see your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Perry! I hope it was helpful.

      Delete
  5. It's a shame this didn't quite live up to the premise... it sounds very interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete