Thursday, August 2, 2012

Movie Review: Courageous


Four policemen excel at their jobs, including battling with violent drug dealers. But after one of them loses a child, they realize that they have not been excelling as fathers to their children, and decide to change this. One of the fathers writes up a resolution for them to be great rather than just good fathers, and with another father joining them, they sign it and set out to live up to their promise to their children.

What sounds like it could be a sappy drama is actually a quite solid drama that has plenty of action and comedy sprinkled throughout. The opening scene of this film, and a humorous scene later in the movie, are more effective than just about any scenes I’ve seen in years from Hollywood. As Sherwood keeps growing as a film production company, I’m interested in seeing if they can fully live up to this potential. This film is safe for most viewers, with some mild violence, intense scenes, and mature themes.


(c) 2012 Jonathan Garner

8 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorites. Good review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear your thoughts on this movie! Good review. I think this film shows Sherwood's growth as a production company. It's not stellar, but fun. I'm eager to see where they take their future films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review! Though I don't enjoy watching many films, this one is one I've seen numerous time and always enjoy. It's one of the rare films that makes me :rofl: and :bawl: and sometimes nearly at the same time. ;) And the ending is epic. ^_^

    (There, I just used waaay to many HW emoticons.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! It did well at balancing humor and drama.

      (I've noticed that HW smiley codes show up all over the place...)

      Delete