Thursday, October 18, 2012

Movie Review: Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey



Two dogs and a cat live a happy life with their family, but when their family has to go on a long trip, the three pets must go stay with a relative of the family. The pets are confused, though the old dog is certain that their family will return for them. However, the young dog was abandoned by his previous family and thinks it has happened again. Eventually, the old dog worries that his beloved boy is in trouble, and sets out to find him, with the other two pets tagging along. What they think is a quick trip over a mountain turns into a daunting trek through a dangerous wilderness, leaving the pets to wonder if they’ll ever reach home or even survive.

The simple story of this film is fairly effective, and when added together with the humorous dialogue and antics of the three pets, the result is a fun film for all ages. The animals who portray the pets are believable and amusing. One of the most notable things about the film is that the cynical and rebellious young dog learns the value of love, family, and home, which is a step above the usual “believe in yourself” moral that many family films have. Some of the scenes where the pets are in danger are fairly intense, and parents might be concerned about children wanting to imitate the snarky dialogue of the pets, but other than that this film is safe for the whole family.


(c) 2012 Jonathan Garner

4 comments:

  1. I saw this as a kid... I remember thinking it silly. ;) But my siblings might like it. :) Thanks for the review, Jonathan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Grace! Not everyone likes snarky talking animals. ;)

      Delete
  2. I adored this movie, as a kid. My confession is that it was my favorite movie of all times, and Shadow is named after... well, Shadow. :D Don't ask me what his name was before that, since I was watching Homeward Bound at about the age of 6. :D

    But, I am fond of snarkiness, as evidenced by a certain character in my book. It's not for everyone, and I look back now at the movie and think "wow, that was a bit harder than I remember", but I still claim it as my favorite childhood movie, and it holds a special place in my heart. I adored Shadow.

    The second movie was not nearly as good. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Kaitlyn!

      Ah, so that's how Shadow got his name. :)

      I've heard that about the second movie...

      Delete