Friday, April 19, 2013

Movie Review: Treasure Planet


A troubled teen gets the chance to redeem himself when he is given a map to treasure hidden on a distant planet. As he sets out on a voyage through space to find the planet, he’ll encounter quite a few colorful friends and enemies. The dangers of space turn out to be not nearly as dangerous as treacherous companions who will do anything to get their hands on the treasure.

The setting of this film reminded me a bit of Titan A.E. (which I also reviewed) in some ways, but in general the sci-fi elements are unique enough. The animation was solid. The villainous Long John Silver and his pet Morph are fairly well-done, as are his monstrous crew, and give the story more depth than it otherwise would have had.

If you watch this film hoping to see a good sci-fi adaption of Treasure Island, you will be disappointed by how many changes were made, as might be expected, during its conversion to sci-fi. If, however, you can separate it from the classic novel that inspired it, and just watch it as a light-hearted sci-fi film with some steampunk elements, it is decent entertainment.

Aside from mild violence and some gross-out humor, there’s no content of concern. Some people may be bothered by a “good-hearted” criminal being allowed to get off free with the help of a good character, since there is no clear indication that the criminal has learned better and won’t commit more crimes.

6 comments:

  1. Treasure Planet is one of my all-time favorite movies--and this may have something to do with the fact that I haven't actually read Treasure Island. I have mixed feelings about the ending between the two characters you mentioned for moral reasons--good versus evil, justice, that sort of thing--but I enjoy it and think it works wonderfully as a story element. Just maybe not a philosophy to live by. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first saw Treasure Planet, I didn't like it in comparison to Treasure Island, but when I watched it again and didn't compare the two, I liked it.

      Thank you for commenting, Kay!

      Delete
    2. I agree. I like this movie--it's not particularly brilliant, but clean and enjoyable--but I haven't read the book. I'm sure it's a horrible adaptation, but taken in its own right, it holds water.

      Delete
  2. I loved this film, and found it a brilliant adaptation. :D It made me cry multiple times, and I found it terribly clever. However, I've noticed many people don't seem to like it much. It's interesting what different reactions people can have. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. Thank you for commenting, Grace!

      Delete