Thursday, May 16, 2013

Book Review: Angel Fall by Coleman Luck


Three siblings awake in another world after the plane they are on crashes into the Atlantic Ocean. Before long, they are separated on their journey through the fantastical world. Wondrous sights and terrifying enemies await them, and as they slowly come to realize the truth about the nature of good and evil, their part in the war that is tearing the world apart is revealed to them.

While this novel started out slowly, seeming like many other dream-like fantasy tales, I had been assured by a friend that this novel was a masterpiece, and kept reading. I’m glad that I did. Soon wildly original scenes and ideas were flooding the pages, some of which were unlike anything I’d ever encountered before.

One of the most memorable scenes involved a giant spider whose enormous web was a harp that played mystical music, and such memorable scenes occurred again and again throughout the story. A unique fantasy world is witnessed from its youth, through epic fantastical wars that cover the world for millennia, and all the way to its rebirth.

By the end of this book, I had been so amazed by what was described within its pages that I have to agree with my friend’s assessment that this novel is a masterpiece. An imperfect one, yes, with a slow start and some theological murkiness, but the many moments of brilliance make it well worth reading for any fan of fantasy.

While the protagonists in this novel are young, this novel is probably best for older teens and adults. The dark lord figure’s violence causes a lot of people to die and a lot of blood to flow, though it is always described in a way similar to that in Revelation in the Bible, rather than being gratuitous. Sexual sin is addressed tactfully. Some euphemisms are used, but there is no swearing.

11 comments:

  1. I am immensely pleased. And a teeny bit self-satisfied. *broad grin* So glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for recommending it, Aubrey!

      Delete
  2. I am becoming more and more interested in this book.... Great review, Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As am I... I'll have to read this sometime. Thanks for the review, Jonathan.

      Delete
    2. Let me know what you think of it if you do. :) Thank you for commenting, Mark!

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to read this! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Jonathan. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Grace! It's good. :)

      Delete
  4. I've been thinking about reading this one...though, it's a lot different than what I generally read. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it's any more different than A Wrinkle in Time. ;)

      Delete
  5. Ah, true. Though, A Wrinkle in Time is also an exception to what I generally read. ;)

    ReplyDelete