Monday, September 30, 2013

Double Movie Review: 101 Dalmatians - Animated Versus Live Action

The Stories: A single man and woman are brought together by their two dalmatian dogs. After their owners marry, their dogs have puppies, and both dogs and humans are happy until the puppies vanish. An evil woman has stolen the puppies in order to make clothing from their soft and unique fur, and it’s up to the two dogs to rescue their puppies. Such is the simple and somewhat strange plot of both the original animated classic and the more recent live action version of 101 Dalmatians.

My Thoughts: I had fond childhood memories of the animated version, but the live action version made little impression on me as a child. Recently I decided to watch the two and compare them. Which is better? Both films are fun family adventures. While the animated version has some plot holes and runs out of steam towards the end, the way it wraps up the story makes more sense than the live action version.

On the other hand, up until it falls apart towards the end, the live action version has a stronger plot. Cruella deVil is a memorable villainess in both films, but of course it’s the cute dogs that you’ll remember the most. As to whether animated puppies who talk are better than live action puppies that don’t, and which film has more amusing hijinks involving the puppies and other animals, it’s pretty much a tie.

Overall, I found the animated version to be the most charming, largely because the ending was better written and thus the movie didn’t end on a disappointing note. If you’ve seen them both, which is your favorite?

Content Overview: Both films are safe for most viewers, though the crazed villainess and other scary elements, such as criminals who plan to skin puppies, might bother some children. The live action version had much more kissing, and if I recall correctly, the animated version had an immodest advertisement.

4 comments:

  1. I adored this movie as a kid!!! Well, the animated one, that is. :D Then, as I got older, and I watched 101 and 102 live action versions of the movie and I liked them also. Glenn Close was amazing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never saw 102 Dalmatians, but she was an amazing Cruella in 101 Dalmatians. Thank you for commenting, Kaitlyn!

      Delete
  2. I adore the live-action film, it's always been a favorite, so I like it better. =D But the animated one is cute, too. I loved 102 Dalmatians, but mostly because I had a crush on Ioan Gruffudd. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen 102 Dalmatians. I didn't know it had Horatio Hornblower in it. ;)

      Delete