Thursday, November 14, 2013

Movie Review: Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’hoole


The Story: When two owl brothers are kidnaped and taken to be the slaves of an evil owl king, one brother resists this tyranny while the other brother works to win the favor of his captors. The good brother escapes with a friend, and they set out to find the legendary guardian owls who defeated the evil king in the past. As the good brother learns how to better fight back against the forces of evil, his treacherous brother is surrendering more and more to the darkness, and they will meet again in the war that’s coming.

My Thoughts: This film has some of the most beautiful animation I’ve ever seen. While that alone would not be enough to recommend it to most people, the simple story is solid enough and has enough original ideas to keep the amazing visuals from being wasted. For example, plenty of family films have lessons about “unusual heroes,” but this movie puts a twist on that idea that is more unique and relevant than most. It also depicts good versus evil in a stronger, clearer way than modern family films tend to do.

The story has a few holes, but nothing that ruins the film. While the Owl City song that randomly pops up in one scene felt out of place, it is quickly forgotten after its awkward appearance. The ending demands a sequel, but due to the box office failure of this film, a sequel is unlikely to be made. Perhaps mainstream viewers were not quite ready for a serious, rather than goofy, anthropomorphic animal world, but those who appreciate animal fantasy and fantasy in general will find much to like.

Content Overview: It’s a bit more violent and scary than most animated family films I’ve seen, so parents should be aware of that. Aside from some political correctness, the film has a surprisingly good worldview.

10 comments:

  1. Good review, Jonathan. Can't say I really enjoyed this film; I felt the plot was a little scattered, and the characters felt as if they were - for want of a better word - overacting. Beautiful animation, to be sure. But I think the film could have been better if they put as much time into the story and pacing as they did the animation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, BushMaid!

      I also think it would have been better if they'd put more time into the story, though I still felt the story was better than in many recent animated films.

      Delete
  2. Serious rather than goofy, good art, and a good worldview? o.O Should I watch this sometime? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked animation, I would answer yes. ;)

      Delete
    2. I like good art. I don't like goofy movies. Most the animated movies I've seen have been goofy, hence my opinion of animation. However, I'm open to changing that opinion on animation (not so much my opinion of goofy movies... ;))...

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure if this movie would change your mind, but I'm hopeful that there is an animated movie which can. ;)

      Delete
  3. I love THE LEGEND OG THE GAURDIANS:THE OWLS OF GA'HOOLE! It's a very interesting movie. I own the movie and some of the books. I really hope they make a sequel to this movie! I would definitely go see it if they did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I'd like them to make a sequel, too.

      Delete
  4. LEGEND OF THE GAURDIANS:THE OWLS OF GA'HOOLE is a FANTASTIC MOVIE! I own the DVD. I loved the dark tone of the film and how real all the owls and scenery looked. I love animal-fantasy films so this movie is right up my alley! I REALLY hope they make a sequel someday soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting!

      I hope so, too. Animal fantasy is great!

      Delete