Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Why I Decided To Be A NaNo Rebel

I enjoy participating in National Novel Writing Month (NaNo) each year. It’s helped me to successfully write the first draft of a novel for each of the past three years.

But this year, I wanted something different. I’m going to be busier than in previous years, and since my novels tend to not get truly finished until the end of December due to 80,000+ word lengths, I wanted to write something that would actually be finished at the end of November.

That led to me to consider writing 50,000 words of short stories instead of 50,000 words of a novel. The more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea.

A short story rarely takes more than a few days to write, so if I’m in the middle of one at the end of NaNo, it won’t take me much time to complete. Another benefit of short stories is that they’re far easier to edit than a novel, which means I can have them ready to submit for publication in a much smaller amount of time.

I also like the challenge of writing 50,000 words of short stories in a single month. It’s something I’ve never done before, and I’m sure it will help me grow as a writer.

That’s why I decided to be a NaNo rebel this year and write 50,000 words of short stories.

Are you doing NaNo this year? Have you ever been a NaNo rebel?

4 comments:

  1. I am doing NaNo this year for the second time. And this is also my second year being a NaNo rebel. It's just the way it worked out. I'll be writing a short story, finishing a novella, and starting (and possibly finishing) two other novellas. :D

    ReplyDelete