Friday, March 11, 2016

7 Great Rock Songs That Are 7 Minutes or Longer

I like rock songs in general, no matter the length. Long songs, however, tend to get overlooked by many people due to not being as radio-friendly as short songs. To help fix that, I made a list of my top 7 favorite rock songs that are 7 minutes or longer.


#1 “I AM” by Theocracy

Theocracy has a lot of great songs that are over 7 minutes long, but this is my favorite.



#2 “Prodigal Son Suite” by Keith Green

In addition to being one of the best long rock songs ever composed, this is also one of the greatest story songs ever written.



#3 “November Rain” by Guns N’ Roses

This unforgettable epic is the longest song to ever enter the top ten on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart.



#4 “Laying the Demon to Rest” by Theocracy

Yes, more Theocracy. They can’t help but dominate a list of the best long rock songs, since epic-length masterpieces are their specialty.



#5 “High Hopes” by Pink Floyd

In the tradition of a previous classic, “Comfortably Numb,” Pink Floyd delivers another haunting masterpiece with “High Hopes.”



#6 “The Gift of Music” by Theocracy

This is the last song by Theocracy on the list. I promise. If, however, I’d made a “10 great rock songs over 7 minutes” list, Theocracy would have probably provided the other three songs.


#7 “Ground Zero” by Kerry Livgren

Picking up where he left off with the rock band Kansas, Kerry Livgren created another quirky symphonic classic with this song.



What are your favorite rock songs that are over 7 minutes long?

8 comments:

  1. "American Pie", Don McLean, and I don't mind " Long Time" by Boston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to listen to those. :) I haven't heard the latter, and it's been a long time since I've heard the former.

      Delete
  2. Walk On Medley, Third Stage Separation, Don't Look Back/The Journey/It's Easy - Boston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I'll check those out.

      Delete
    2. You've got Jacob hooked on Theocracy now. ;)

      Delete
  3. Rez band Dayrl Mansfield/larry Howard Live blues albums
    Echos Pink Floyd ,California Guitar trio
    Mountain Jam Allman Bros
    Lots of Phil Keaggy ,Yes, Amongst others.
    I like songs that when I go into somewhere and come out they are still on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! I'll look into those.

      Delete